CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

MOVE IT AND LOSE IT

so i have begun the arduous task of packing things up, cleaning and junking superfluous things in my life. it's amazing how much STUFF one can accumulate over a 5 year period.

i am headed to my mom and dad's place in a week and half to go lounge around and soak up that warm dry-heat climate... i'm super stoked. so as not to be wasteful of good resources, i am also packing up two extra suitcases with things that can be taken via united airlines vs. spending mucho deniro shipping a gazillion boxes full of things.

basically my parents, who had already planned a trip with a few siblings and their families to Disneyland, are driving a few things out to CA for me (i LOVE them for that), since i have made the decision to sell my car and all of my belongings and just fly out there. shipping on the most important basics of my life.

today's task was to decide what goes, what stays, what gets shipped later and what gets junked! what a fun and interesting trip down memory lane as i sifted through old christmas cards, pictures, journals, notes and drawings by the many children i have come to call friends here. i was filled to the brim with nostalgia.

i was also struck by the reality of what i am doing. i'm leaving boston. i'm going. away. this isn't a vacation... i won't be living here anymore.

i guess this is the feeling most kids have when they leave home for the first time. the nervous, sad feeling to be leaving the only thing they've ever known.

i know what you're thinking. i didn't grow up here and on the contrary i have lived thousands of miles away for most of my life. but boston HAS been the place i grew up. the place i love to call home. the place that fits me like a glove. and leaving it is going to be so hard.

with a few boxes already packed and some things already junked, my room is already beginning to feel bare. to most of you, it probably wouldn't look any different, but to me the effects of the 'things' going away is already starting to tug at my heart strings.

ahhh boston, don't worry... i will come back as soon as i can. i won't be gone for long!

1 comments:

The Dean's said...

if you have time when you in the SLC, call me we much chat and eat!